[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Aug 19 07:53:01 CEST 2010

Yesterday Philip Peake wrote:

> > Marc
> If you are referring to the message I posted, as I read the doc, or at
> least the into, it says:
>
>     /GAUGE does not save the rate of change. It saves the actual value
>     itself. There are no divisions or calculations./
>
>     http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrd-beginners.en.html
>
> Which is not what I am seeing.
>
> I am (trying to) record actual numbers of items in queues. These are
> integer values, not rates.
> As I read the doc, that is explicitly what GAUGE is supposed to record.

if you accquire your data at the sampling interval times then no
re-sampling will happen ...

conside this

* setup an rrd with a step of 300 seconds
  this means it will save data at 0:00, 0:05, 0:10, 0:15, 0:20

* read data from your data-source. You get data at
  0:01 - 1, 0:05 - 33, 0:09 - 2, 0:15 - 8, 0:21 - 0

* what how would you like rrdtool to act ? what data should be
  stored  in the  slots ?

cheers
tobi