[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Philip Peake philip at vogon.net
Thu Aug 19 03:25:18 CEST 2010

 On 8/18/2010 5:57 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:38:20AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>>> as for storing arbitrary binary data as time series in rrdtool, it
>>> is all a matter of coming up with a sensible configuration model
>>> and implementation strategy for makeing this work ... if you want
>>> to spend your time on this, I'll be glad to review your plan and
>>> code. And I will also merge your patches if we can agreee on things
>>>
>>> but as you dive into the code you will seee that your project would
>>> require rather fundamental 'work'
>> I had a simple thought this morning: just ignore any value that's been
>> interpolated by cacti and throw it away.
>> An easy way to detect one is that it's very unlikely that it'll be an
>> integer, so instead of
> Going back to your point, while I don't need this myself anymore (although I
> just see another message apparently asking for the same thing), how about
> this:
> - make a new DATA type that is similar to GAUGE without smoothing
> or
> - add a rrdtool create flag for GAUGE where it's marked as no smoothing
>
> I haven't looked at the code and can't comment on how difficult either is,
> but I can think of several legitate uses for GAUGE where smoothing would not
> be ok (not counting my bitfield thing, which is admittedly mabye a bit
> beyond what rrdtool fields were originally meant for, even if it happens to
> work great ;) ).
>
> Marc
If you are referring to the message I posted, as I read the doc, or at
least the into, it says:

    /GAUGE does not save the rate of change. It saves the actual value
    itself. There are no divisions or calculations./

    http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrd-beginners.en.html

Which is not what I am seeing.

I am (trying to) record actual numbers of items in queues. These are
integer values, not rates.
As I read the doc, that is explicitly what GAUGE is supposed to record.

Philip