[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Thu Aug 19 16:06:04 CEST 2010

[ Comments below, in line ]

On Thursday 19 August 2010 at 10:00 am, Philip Peake penned
about "Re: [rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?"

> There is virtually no way in the real world that a data source and
> rdd will by synchronized to the nanosecond.

Hi Philip,

The synchronization doesn't have to be as high a resolution as to the
`nanosecond' (I realize you're being facetious).

I'm currently testing gear and my `step' is set to 60s.  The script
I've written computes its `wake-up' to always be at the start of the
next minute.  It takes about seven seconds to query the device so I
end up updating a value seven seconds after the top of the minute.
Next, my process sleeps until the top of the next minute.

I guarantee one metric collected per step.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)