[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 17:10:42 CEST 2010

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>  > Tell me how I synchronize a data source to RDD's concept of sample times?
>>  Actually, what is RDD's concept of sample times? How does it determine
>>  the start?
>>  I would assume time starts with the first entry (or is it the time it is
>>  created?).
>
>the time slots are aligned to the epoch (1.1.1970).
>
>The sample interval is always from the last update to the curent

And something no-one has mentioned so far - you do not have to use
"now" in your update statement. Taking the example above, you can
compute what the time was at the last integral multiple of "step" and
use that. Eg, if you end up calling rrd tool at 00:00:07, then
instead of being 7 seconds late, you could use a timestamp of
00:00:00.

Obviously you may some some precision in timing, but if your primary
concern is to avoid normalisation then overall you gain.

--
Simon Hobson