[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Aug 20 00:15:06 CEST 2010

Hi Alex,

Yesterday Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> > to implement this, you would create a new datasource type ...
>
> I respectfully disagree. If what they want is a timestamp which is
> n*{amount_of_seconds_per_interval} then basically all what's needed is an
> option to normalize the timestamp. That doesn't even have to be used with
> GAUGE, it would also work with COUNTER.
>
> A command line option, or even a rrdtool tune-able bitfield, rrdtool
> update looks for this, adjusts $timestamp so that it looses whatever
> remainder there is after dividing by $step, and you're done.

this can be done externaly without problem, no reason to implement
this ... BUT if you are looking at a single RRD file with a mixed
set of datasources. Some datasources are to be properly re-sampled
and others are to be time-snapped, then there must be a way to
configure this per data source ...

cheers
tobi