[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Fri Aug 20 12:05:54 CEST 2010

> Hi Alex,
>
> Yesterday Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>

>> > to implement this, you would create a new datasource type ...
>>
>> I respectfully disagree. If what they want is a timestamp which is
>> n*{amount_of_seconds_per_interval} then basically all what's needed is
>> an
>> option to normalize the timestamp. That doesn't even have to be used
>> with
>> GAUGE, it would also work with COUNTER.
>>
>> A command line option, or even a rrdtool tune-able bitfield, rrdtool
>> update looks for this, adjusts $timestamp so that it looses whatever
>> remainder there is after dividing by $step, and you're done.
>
> this can be done externaly without problem, no reason to implement
> this ... BUT if you are looking at a single RRD file with a mixed
> set of datasources. Some datasources are to be properly re-sampled
> and others are to be time-snapped, then there must be a way to
> configure this per data source ...

If there is such a need, which I doubt, then rrdtool tune is the way to go
IMHO. I see no reason to come up with new data source types, XFGAUGE,
XFCOUNTER, XFABSOLUTE and XFLAST (X-File Gauge and so on).

I still worry about the next issue coming up... 1200 CDPs to display and
only 600 pixels available in the graph... One bitfield is a nice
nonnormalized 128, the other is 0. what is RRDtool going to do? Display
128, 0 or 64 ?