[rrd-users] Graphing potentially missing files

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 15:44:06 CET 2010

Steve Shipway wrote:

>Why not use rrdcached in TCP mode to send the updates from your
>routers over to a central rrd file(s) held on the graphing server?
>Then no need for NFS or copying.

Well I had to install newer packages from Backports, but this is now
working. For belt and braces, I have the two routers updating a local
file as well as the remote one - so if the graphing server or network
are down for any length of time, I can copy the local files over and
"restore" the otherwise missing data.

A couple of points :

1) When I use the --daemon option to rrdgraph, that flushes the cache
but still accesses the local file doesn't it ?

2) Other than connecting to the socket, is there a way to trigger
caches to be written ? I tried :
>echo "FLUSH <some filename>" >> /var/run/rrdcached.sock
but all I got was :

--
Simon Hobson