[rrd-users] Graphing potentially missing files

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 09:03:41 CET 2010

Steve Shipway wrote:

>Why not use rrdcached in TCP mode to send the updates from your
>routers over to a central rrd file(s) held on the graphing server?
>Then no need for NFS or copying.

Hmm, an idea. However one of my design criteria is that the logging
will still happen even if the graphing machine is down (which has
happened). Otherwise I'd have just mounted an NFS share from the
graphing machine to the router when I first set it up.

It's not that our systems are unusually unreliable - though so far
apart from memory, an occasional hard drive, and a few fans, nothing
I get to use is new ! But I'm trying to build stuff on the basis of
"sh*t happens, work round it"

I suppose the graphing server isn't that unreliable, and the loss of
a few periods of traffic data isn't the end of the world - we don't
use it for billing or anything. rrdcached wasn't around when I
originally set this up, it would certainly be simpler.

--
Simon Hobson