[rrd-users] Normalization and NaN (?)

Derek Simkowiak ubuntu at realloc.net
Thu Dec 23 23:08:04 CET 2010

     Simon,
     Thank you for you assistance.

     I've learned that the problem is in Cacti, not RRDtool.  When I
tried to reproduce the problem with a simple test case (in a standalone
shell script), the problem disappeared.

     In looking at the Cacti debug logs, I can see that Cacti is not
reporting the value for "files" to "rrdtool update ..." for some
reason.  I'm still trying to figure out why (as the GUI looks correct to
me, and all the other values work fine).  The fact that "files" is so
much larger than the other numbers was just a coincidence that led me in
the wrong direction.

     For the archives: if you're getting a NaN in Cacti then follow this
HowTo for troubleshooting:

http://forums.cacti.net/about15136.html

Thanks Again,
Derek

P.S.> The "official" link for that Cacti HowTo is broken:
http://docs.cacti.net/node/283