[rrd-users] Best way to track absolute data.

Shem Valentine rrdtool at valentinenews.net
Mon Feb 1 17:27:01 CET 2010

Hello all,

I have an ABSOLUTE counter that I'm trying to monitor (resets after each
read).  This counter is reset every 30 minutes.

I'm trying to make my rrd files as minimal as possible, as I will be
tracking thousands of these monitors.  So I would like to have a 30-minute
archive for 3-4 months, and a 24-hour archive for 5 years.

It is important to me that the RRD contains accurate data totals, and not
averaged.  The 30-minute archive is simple enough, an ABSOLUTE DS, with a
LAST RRA.  However, I'm struggling to get the 24-hour archive.

I could do it similar to above, a 24-hour RRA using LAST, and have my
script that gathers the PDPs, total them, and update an ABSOLUTE DS.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas if it is possible, and if so, how
to accomplish this using RRD,

Thank you for your time,
-Shem Valentine