[rrd-users] Best way to track absolute data.

Shem Valentine rrdtool at valentinenews.net
Mon Feb 1 18:38:45 CET 2010

Sorry for the double post.  After reading the email several more times, I
realized it doesn't make much sense.

I am looking to create an RRD with a 3-month and a 5-year archive.  I have
a counter which is retrieved and reset every 30-minutes.  The data needs to
be accurate for the 5-year archive and not an average.  I would like to
keep the file size to a minimum (ie not store 30-min records for 5 years).

Perhaps the best way to explain is with a sample.

rrdtool create file.rrd --step 1800 \
DS:30min:ABSOLUTE:3600:0:U \
DS:10hour:(take last 20 30min PDP's and total them) \
RRA:LAST:0:1:4320

I would prefer to use something like COMPUTE for 10hour (don't know if this
is possible).  However, as a last resort I could possibly cache the PDPs in
the script I'm using then update 10hour with their total.  In which case
would something like the following make sense?

rrdtool create file.rrd --step 1800 \
DS:30min:ABSOLUTE:3600:0:U \
DS:10hour:ABSOLUTE:72000:0:U
RRA:LAST:0:1:4320