[rrd-users] Aberrant Behavior Detection Settings

Koaps koaps at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 07:28:16 CET 2010

Hi Vinod,

From the rrdcreate docs:

"These RRAs differ from the true consolidation functions in several ways. First, each of the RRAs is updated once for every primary data point."

Because the 14 days and 1 year data points are consolidations of the primary data points I believe the predictions will only work on the 48 hours of primary data points.

To get around that you would have to make separate rrd's for each of the time periods you want to track, issue being the files will be much larger, and take a lot longer to update, especially with prediction running and the step being 5 seconds.

You could try to use much longer steps for the other files, for instance, you have the 5 second step for the last 48 hours, a 1 minute step for the last 2 weeks, and a daily step for the last year.

It will take a very long time for prediction to actually start for the last two.

At 5 minute step it took a couple months for the predictions to settle down for me.

Unfortunately there's no simple fix.

You could store values in a database and use them to feed into a rrd for history, record ticks(out of bound values) and display them in their own graphs for monthly yearly.

Maybe Tobi has a suggestion.

-k