[rrd-users] Please help on COUNTER

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 10:44:21 CET 2010

Andy_O wrote:

>Please help me to clarify the COUNTER;
>1. Should it records and displays the difference between previous and
>present values?

No, RRDTool only ever stores rates, not values. With a counter data
type, it stores the previous counter value only so that it can
calculate the rate. Each time you do an update, it works out the
difference (new counter value minus old counter value) and then
divides it by the time since the last update to get a rate. So if you
fed it the values 60 and 90, two minutes apart, the difference would
be 30, and divided by 120 seconds, the rate stores would be 0.25.

The rates calculated are then normalised to fit your step period.
Alex has an excellent tutorial on this at
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/

>3. What does "m" mean written on the Y-axis on the graph ?

milli, as in 10^-3
--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...