[rrd-users] Storing Static + Dynamic data in rrd

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Feb 25 13:28:36 CET 2010

Hi Shameen,

Today Shameem Ahamed wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there anyway , I can store both static and dynamic data in rrd.
>
> I want to store the spam count details for all the e-mail accounts.
>

> The format, I am thinking is something like
>
>             -> user1 at domain1.com ->[data]
> domain1.com -> user2 at domain1.com ->[data]
>             -> user3 at domain1.com ->[data]
>
>             -> user1 at domain2.com ->[data]
> domain2.com -> user2 at domain2.com ->[data]
>             -> user3 at domain2.com ->[data]
>

> Is it possible ?.  Is there any other rrd tool to achieve this kind of storage ?.

since rrd tool is best at storing 'preiodic' data, you should make
sure that you set the 'step' at an interval such that users are
likely to get several mails withing that interval ... else you are
wasting storage space and would be better served with some sql data
base ...

having a separate rrd file per email address and storing in there
some data about the users mail activity once per day seems like a
sensible thing todo ...

maybe

mail-sent:mail-received:spam-received:virus-received:bounces-received

cheers
tobi