[rrd-users] Oddities with rrdtool

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Fri Jan 1 00:11:03 CET 2010

Am 28.12.2009 01:25, schrieb Jean-Yves Avenard:
> Hi
>
> I've encountered a very weird oddity when graphing with rrdtool ; I
> can not explain why.
>
> I am plotting five graphs together ; 99% of the time it works great.
> >From time to time ; rrdtool doesn't plot anything showing weird scale
> on the side.
>
> This only seems to happen with a particular combination of graph ; not
> always the same.
> Like
> Graph 1,2,3,4 works
> Graph 1,3,4,5 works
> Graph 1,2,3,5 works
> Graph 1,2,3,4,5 doesn't work
>
> Sometimes 1,2,3,4,5 would work and all other combinations would work ;
> but Graph 1 alone doesn't work... It varies...

Looks like some random memory corruption or uninitialized memory. Could
you please provide a valgrind log of a run where graphing worked and one
where it didn't?
Please install the library symbols for rrdtool and associated libraries
beforehand so valgrind finds them and reports proper locations in you dump.
> http://i45.tinypic.com/2mmhxj.png -> ok
> http://i45.tinypic.com/2llldn9.png -> ok
> http://i45.tinypic.com/2llldn9.jpg -> ok
> http://i50.tinypic.com/8vn3pk.png -> not ok
>
> I have another plot that is made of only 3 graphs.
> Sometimes any combination of 2 or 3 graph works ; but graphing one
> alone doesn't work ; getting those ? in the scale on the lest.

hmmm, can't see the question marks you mentioned for the last of those
links. Could you please elaborate?
> It's very puzzling , because it doesn't always happen.
>
> Does so on two different machines ; a Linux (Ubuntu) with rrdtool
> 1.4.2 and another FreeBSD with rrdtool 1.3.9 ....

hmmm, could you also check the used libraries for their version numbers.
If you have another computer where it works, could you provide version
numbers for it too? (Just to see if this is related to some externally
used librariy)
> Always on the same graph ; one that I plot from midnight to midnight
> so the end time is in the future...
>
> Any ideas ?
> I've just tried again ; and all graph display properly now !!
>
> That's the page it's from:
> http://htpc.avenard.org/power/
>
> Thanks
> Jean-Yves