[rrd-users] rrd create update problem

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 11:18:32 CEST 2010

homephilsch at gmx.de wrote:
>My crontab entry:
>30 0 * * * updateRRD.sh
>

>As you can see the crontab runs successfully (see lastupdate).
>So my question is why I have only NaNs in the dump?

Because you haven't supplied enough updates to "finish" a step
period. Specifically, you've updated at 00:30 for a bin that doesn't
finish until 02:00.

>Why the start time is at 02:00:00 (is the difference caused by the
>UTC-CEST difference )?

Yes

>  Is it correct to have the heartbeat set to 172800 or should I set
>it to a smaller number?

That entirely depends on your needs.

>I read many tutorials on the web about the rrdtool but I could not
>figure out why my rrd database isn't updated correctly.

See http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/
In particular, see the tutorial on "Rates, normalizing and consolidating"

--
Simon Hobson