[rrd-users] RRD Server

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Wed Mar 17 22:56:34 CET 2010

Hi all:

I'm researching the feasibility of adapting Ganglia to communicate
with RRD Server such that the web frontend does not need to reside on
the same box as the server holding the RRD files.

Since RRD Server runs in a chroot, this presents an interesting issue
when certain files RRDTool expects aren't in the chroot.

For instance, with version 1.2.x, you need to place the default font
in the chroot, otherwise RRDTool gives an error.

This gets more interesting since the introduction of 1.3.x+ with pango
support, this added a bunch of additional dependencies that need to
reside in the chroot.

My question is -- going forward, is running RRD Server still a
feasible solution?  Is there something which we could do to facilitate
setting up RRD Server?

I'm not arguing against using chroot -- I think it's a good security
measure, I'm just wondering if there are ways to make things work
simpler.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Bernard