[rrd-users] VRULE Thickness and Legend Throttling

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun Mar 21 11:37:24 CET 2010

Hi Gabriel,

Yesterday Gabriel Millerd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a simple graph of a system's characteristics, and I would like
> to produce a VRULE untop of that graph for when updates are deployed
> to that system's app server and when the app server is restarted.
> Since I am making my graphs dynamically, I can fetch those times and
> make the VRULE%d#FF0000:"Code Swtich" type entries.
>
> Right now this works fine, but I have a few issues.
>
> 1) The single pixel thickness seems very hard to read, there is no
> VRULE2 (like LINE2) type modifier.

yes this is true, but I guess it would be pretty simple to change
as all the code for handling LINE%f is already in place ...

> 2) Multiple Legend entries "Code Switch" "Code Switch" is rough, right
> now I just show the last code switch to avoid it.

if you have to mark many event, an additional graph element might
be handy for placeing arrows with numbers into the graph and then
listing out the legend either outside the graph or somehow
appropriately inside the graph ... might be a bit more involved
creating something like this ...

> Is there a mechanism I should be using instead?
>
> I tried making an actual measurement for when a code switch or restart
> occurred, where its always NaN  until it occurs and then I flare a
> number, however that can upset the scaling of the graph with the bogus
> metric it seems. i should likely revisit this, perhaps a large sized
> line at zero would look like a dot.

storing events inside an rrd database is not realy efficient, using
external storage and using vrules seems like this best way to go
for now ...

cheers
tobi