[rrd-users] Creating a graph averaged over a week

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Thu Nov 18 15:14:56 CET 2010

> Therefore what I would like to do is generate one for a
> generic monday, tuesday etc. By this a mean is keep a high resolution of
> data over say a 28 day cycle (maybe more). Then generate a day graph that
> plots the average value for x time in a day.

A generic monday is not necessarily the average of four consecutive mondays.

If Steve's suggestion is not what you are looking for, have a look at
SHIFT (in the rrdtool graph manual).

> Is this something rrdtool can do? At the moment I cant see how I could as
> all the x axis values would be different as they are time based

Indeed. And that time can be SHIFTed :)

>From memory:
four data sources (pointing at the same source),
shift by 0,1,2 or 3 times 604800 seconds (1 week)
should give you the data. Now use AVG (see the RPN docs).

HTH
Alex