[rrd-users] retrieving lower level information from defined higher level archieves

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 29 02:35:44 CET 2010

Short answer is no - RRDTool is good, but it  is not psychic.  It cannot create information out of thin air!  If you have only supplied per-hour data, then it cannot provide accurate per-minute data.  If you ask for per-minute data, it will give you the best it can - even if this means a single per-hour sample.

What you *can* do, is to request a graph for a small time window, and the best data available will be used.  This might result in a very blocky graph if the required and available intervals differ greatly!

For 'fetch' and 'graph', RRDTool always attempts to do the best it can using the available data.  If you haven't given it adequate data, you won't get a very good result, as with any system.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand