[rrd-users] Possible to read rrd files from memory

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Tue Oct 19 20:59:57 CEST 2010

Hello:

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM, schleppy <sberry2a at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to create hundreds of thousands of rrd files (one per user) to save
> various statistics.  In order to help with the disk I/O I was hoping to use
> another system (perhaps Redis) for retrieval of the rrd files, which would
> then exist in memory.  Is it possible to feed the contents of the file from
> memory to `rrdtool fetch` or `rrdtool update` commands?

I would recommend you do a quick search of the mail archives for
"rrdtool io" or similar search terms, this has been quite extensively
discussed in the past.  Some options for improving I/O are rrdcached,
placing files in tmpfs, placing files in a loopback mountpoint of a
single file, etc.

Your suggestion of putting it into Redis may also be an interesting
solution which may be worth investigating.  However, I can tell you
that with the above mentioned suggestions, you should be able to scale
to millions of individual files.

Cheers,

Bernard