[rrd-users] Migrating RRDs from rrdtool-1.3.8 to 1.2.27

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 31 04:39:41 CET 2010

The best thing to do would be to upgrade your new server to RRDTool 1.3.x (or even 1.4.x) and the problem would go away.

I know you say that your software is dependent on RRD 1.2, but RRD 1.3 and 1.4 are backwards-compatible so there should be no problem with them using the 1.3 or 1.4 libraries.  The only difficulty I could imagine would be if the software has the 1.2 libraries somehow built-in, and so it would not be able to process v3 RRD files as created by RRD 1.3 or 1.4.

Does the RRD file in question use any of the features not present in RRD 1.2?  For example, the special RRA types from Holt-Winters and so on?  If not, then you could probably edit the XML dump to make it pretend to be a v2 XML dump and then load it in... although I've never tried this, my initial thoughts would be that it would work.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead