[rrd-users] Counter resets - how to handle?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Wed Sep 15 16:40:55 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Peake" <philip at vogon.net>
To: <rrd-users at lists.oetiker.ch>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:35 PM
Subject: [rrd-users] Counter resets - how to handle?

> I am sampling a counter inside a software process (operations count)
> and plotting the result over time as a graph.
> I am using type COUNTER - since this is what it is.

Good.

> All works well until for some reason the process has to be restarted.
> At that point rrdtool assumes that the counter overflowed, and shows a
> huge number of operations.

Yep.

> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Solution: see my site, http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool and click on
RRDtool update tutorial with examples
This will work if you know a reset is about to occur, or just has occured.

Workaround: set an reasonable maximum for your RRD, so that spikes are
ignored. Use rrdtool tune to change the maximum allowed rate.

HTH
Alex