[rrd-users] basic rrdtool usage - short intervals

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Sep 18 08:16:45 CEST 2010

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Steve Shipway wrote:

> What he said.
>
> You might also want to increase the length of the RRA proportionally, as
> well, and maybe decrease the DS heartbeat (as you have a shorter step
> size now).  Also, with a 1-dp RRA, you dont need to have the MIN and
> MAX, as they will be the same as the AVG for a group of a single point.
>
> Try this:
>
> rrdtool create arcsize.rrd --start N --step 15
> DS:arcsize:GAUGE:30:0:5000 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:43920

Wow.  Thanks (and thanks Pablo).  That whole part of the "rrdtool create"
doc was totally unclear to me.  This kind of makes sense now, as long as I
don't try to figure out the "xfilefactor".

> If you want the 1-hour CDP RRAs as well (for graphing purposes) then
> just add the original 3 RRA definitions to the end of the statment:

At first I was a little stumped because my rrd had a ton of empty values
before the collection started.  But I suppose that's what the "RR" part of
rrd is, right?  I have to always pre-define how much data I'm going to
store.  I just set a start/end time on the graph command and that seems to
work well.

Anyhow, thanks again - this is an awesome tool.  I'm looking at %busy and
ops/sec for 4 disks in a zfs raidz-1 setup as well as system load and the
size of the zfs arc cache while I do some bulk loads into postgres and
fiddle with various tuning parameters.  I settled on a 5 second sample.
Having a visual representation of what's going on is great.

Charles