[rrd-users] step period, start and end

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:49:45 CEST 2010

Justin Carroll wrote:

>I am using GAUGE because I am looking for total water accumulation.

RRD Tool **ONLY** stores rates. You can calculate total from the rate
very easily.

>My goal is to create a graph that only shows the MAX accumulation
>for the day.  I was almost able to do this by setting a step time to
>1day.  The problem is that the "step" doesn't go from midnight to
>midnight.  In my case it goes from 6pm to 6pm the next day.

RRD Tool references everything to Unix Epoch - ie Midnight 1st Jan
1970 UTC. If you have a 24 hour consolidation then it will ALWAYS
start and end at midnight UTC. If you want a period other than that,
you will need to keep a more detailed set of data and do things
slightly differently.

Alternatively, you could fudge it by setting the timezone to UTC
before doing each update and before doing each extraction. Ie, make
RRD Tool think that the times you are feeding it are UTC rather than
your real local timezone.

--
Simon Hobson