[rrd-users] Trying to find out if rrd would be suitable for this task.

David Thornton northdot9 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 04:09:26 CEST 2010

You add but never delete.
And actually you are not really adding , you are filling an already existing
bucket with fresher data.
Think of it as a table with a fixed number of rows that get updates
in sequence until you get to the last row, you then go back to the beginning
and start updating the first row again.
the a row has only two columns: time and value.

I whipped up in 15 minutes a perl script that takes a "SHOW GLOBAL
VARIABLES" from mysql and greps out variables I care about then rrdupdates a
single rrd.

Ihe question about "independant varaibles" really is about when you collect
the data. If you collect it all at the same time every time, then useing one
process and one rrd is the way to go.

If some variables should be recorded once an hour and some once every five
minutes say, then you should have an rrd for each frequency of collection (
and tune each rrd appropriately ).

David