[rrd-users] Trying to find out if rrd would be suitable for this task.

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 04:40:50 CEST 2010

> Ihe question about "independant varaibles" really is about when you collect
> the data. If you collect it all at the same time every time, then useing one
> process and one rrd is the way to go.
> If some variables should be recorded once an hour and some once every five
> minutes say, then you should have an rrd for each frequency of collection (
> and tune each rrd appropriately ).
> David

Thanks.  It's looking like rrd is not the right tool for this job
after all. I can't predict how frequently the different fields in the
database will be updated. I just wanted to keep track of the changes
but in a round robin fashion so I can see if they are going up, down,
or staying still and if they are moving try and get a sense of
"velocity".  Some items might never change, some might change once a
week or day, others might change every ten minutes or so. What's worse
field X for one record might change rarely but for another record
change all the time.