[rrd-users] VDEF MINIMUM

Oliver oliver341 at live.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 00:25:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm slightly confused about the output I get from the VDEF MINIMUM function
(RRDtool version 1.4.5, if that's relevant).

Specifically:

m at n:~$ rrdtool graph test.png -s end-10000 DEF:noise=noise.rrd:noise:AVERAGE
VDEF:min=noise,MINIMUM PRINT:min:%.1lf
0x0
6.1
m at n:~$ rrdtool graph test.png -s end-15000 DEF:noise=noise.rrd:noise:AVERAGE
VDEF:min=noise,MINIMUM PRINT:min:%.1lf
0x0
6.2

What I can't understand is how the minimum value recorded within the last
15,000 seconds can be higher than the minimum value recorded for the last
10,000 seconds, given that the last 15,000 seconds is a superset of the last
10,000 seconds.

I'm probably misunderstanding the VDEF facility somehow. Can anyone shed any
light on this please?

Thanks,
Oliver.