[rrd-users] rrdtool structure

Nickml80 nick.ml80 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:32:57 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I just started to explore rrdtool, but even though I've read through the
documentation I'm having a hard time to understand the tool. I tried several
ways to graph things I want, but so far I haven't even come close.

I hope one of the forum members here can be of some assistance to help me
get started.

The case is that I have 2 year's fixed data which I want to see in a graph,
based on a daily view. While my system information is gathered every day,
the data should be updated each 86400 seconds.
I want to graph this for the total response time accompanied by cpu and db
times. The values are measured in milliseconds.

I figured creating an rrd for this, like this:

rrdtool create target.rrd \
         --start 1023654125 \
         --step 86400 \
         DS:total:GAUGE:600:0:2500 \
         DS:cpu:GAUGE:600:0:2500 \
         DS:db:GAUGE:600:0:2500 \
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:24 \
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:31

In included the RRA entries from an example, but already here I'm stuck. I
just don't know what to do with this.

What I assume to know is that the update works like this:
rrdtool update target.rrd :1000:100:40 :1100:260:50 :964:75:38

And I totally haven't figured out the graphing function yet, while I first
want to understand this full part.

Any hints are welcome.
If I wasn't clear about what I want, please do ask.

Thanks,
Nick.