[rrd-users] counting pellets with rrd

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 08:49:52 CET 2011

Matthias Lemke wrote:

>  > Another issue is that rrd works in UTC, so the "days" it will work
>>  with are not the same as your local days. You just need to be aware
>>  of that.
>
>Will there be a fix? I see, that rrd starts new day at 1 am, thats 0 utc :)

Please stay on-list.

It's come up before, and basically - it's not broken, as in it does
what it's designed to do. Once you introduce working on local time,
you create all sorts of problems. Not least of those is how you
handle daylight savings. Either your 'day' is an hour (for most
people) out for half the year, or you have some days which are 23 or
25 hours long.

One workaround is to store data at one hour resolution. Then graph it
such that the end time is midnight local, and the scale is such that
24 1-hour samples are consolidated into one pixel.

--
Simon Hobson