[rrd-users] Disabling data resampling and interpolation

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 18:09:34 CET 2011

George Wise wrote:
>Please, anybody help my to find way to disable any data resampling
>and interpolation in RRD.
>
>I need exactly that data what I'm putting in RRA, is it possible?
>
>I found few answers in mailing list archive, that saying that it's
>impossible, but maybe it's wrong information (I hope).

You can't, if that is your requirement then RRD is not the right tool
for you - it's designed to solve a different problem.

You can avoid normalisation under very specific circumstances - or
rather you can render it a null operation. To do so, you must enter
data on every step boundary - and always EXACTLY on each step
boundary. If you do that, then the data stored will match what you
put in - subject to rounding errors.
If your data is irregular in timing, then you'd need to use a very
short step (1 second ?), and storage requirements would be large and
inefficient - you'd be better off with a different tool.

--
Simon Hobson