[rrd-users] Getting Total Bytes from COUNTER Data Source

Ryan Kubica kubicaryan at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 06:00:16 CET 2011

A RRA (aside from the initial step RRA) is a consolidation function.  You've created your RRD with some consolidation period (24 hour) and an xff which is a factor of pdp's (step datapoints) that will be used to 'create' the average (or total) in the RRA.

So ... if you have set xff to .5 then half of your datapoints used to create the RRA can be missing and rrdtool will 'pretend' the rest would have been there -- based on your xff value.

for a 5 minute RRA and total based on 1 minute data and an xff of .5:

1 min values:3 3 4 5 6 = 4.2 = total 1,260
1 min and null:3 3 null 5 6 = 4.25 ((3+3+5+6)/4) = total 1,275
1 min and 2 nulls:3 3 null null 6 = 4 ((3+3+6)/3) = total 1,200

now the fun part:

1 min and null
from a low datapoint:null null 4 5 6 = 5 =total 1,500

Based on the above example, you can see that any data missing in your 'troff' (low traffic part of the day) will skew your daily Total high - but ONLY for your 24 RRA ... because you're 24 hour RRA is doing this xff and then the Total function is operating off of the value and multiplying back out throughout the day.  It's doing exactly what you told it to do.

The real solution is to not use a 24 hour RRA, ignore the first 24hour set of data, or never miss data. :-)  I'd side on the don't use 24 hour RRA's; they are a waste in many ways and obviously have inherent calculation error in them when they don't have all data available.

-Ryan