[rrd-users] RPN Problem with GAUGE & TOTAL

tank001 at gmx.de tank001 at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 17:48:27 CET 2011

Hi,

I tried today to sum up all of the values at my rrd-Database using the TOTAL
Command.
My data is organized as GAUGE Type.
I tried the following:
  rrdtool graph dummy.png DEF:var=file.rrd:DATA:MAX VDEF:tot=var,TOTAL
PRINT:tot:%.0lf
Unfortunately the value I got was not correct at all. I expected that the
Value would be STEP-SIZE (given at rrdtool create) times the SUM.
Afterwards I changed my Database to ABSOLUTE Type. Then I got the correct
SUM.

Is there something special on the GAUGE type?

Regards,

Alex