[rrd-users] ERROR: attempting to write beyond end of file

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Jan 6 16:17:24 CET 2011

Hi Stefan,

Dec 30 Stefan M. Brandl wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 04:34:42PM -0800, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> >      I am not able to repro, but I did see a different (?) segfault bug.
> >

> Hm strange.
> But it seems as if I am not alone.
> In  http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2010-07/msg05757.html  a other
> user has the same problem.
>
> Tried it with 1.4.4 and 1.4.5
> both compiled from source on
> Linux lowrider 2.6.32.24 #9 SMP Mon Oct 4 08:51:42 CEST 2010 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

I looked for the cause of this problem in the code. The
'writeing beyond' error message thing is created in rrd_write based
on knowledge about the size the file 'should' have. This is
determined at rrd_open time ... looking at the rrd_resize code,
it seems to try to make sure rrd_open gets its calculation correct

I am a bit at a loss as to how this can fall apart, except for
memory being overwritten or something bad like this ...

still looking ...

cheers
tobi