[rrd-users] how many rrd files can be update per second in rrdtool 1.4.4

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 6 20:40:40 CET 2011

I think this will depend on how you've started rrdcached (how often you have it set to write to disk, and so on) plus how fast your backend disks are, how much memory you have for the rrdcached pending updates, and so on.  We're doing somewhere between 50 and 100 updates per second and I've heard of other sites running far more.  I did a performance analysis for LISA10 but this was more focussed on the difference between the different versions of RRDTool, RRD+cache, and native MRTG.

I think that, with decent disks, you can get several hundred updates persecond, particularly if you set rrdcached to write to disk less frequently.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead