[rrd-users] Tutorial Question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Mon Jan 10 18:38:21 CET 2011

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>> well if you send a patch this would be even better :-)
>
> Done:  http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/ticket/291

So, next is a rrdtool v1.x.y user (x<4) complaining that the tutorial
shows an extra line  NaN, not present in the returned data
_and_not_asked_for.

FWIW I still think it is rrdtool that does it wrong, not the tutorial. But
if it is going to be the tutorial that is fixed, then plz at least
ackowledge the fact that recent versions of rrdtool return lines "I don't
know" the user has not asked for in the first place.

Something like ...

If it doesn't, something may be wrong.  Or maybe not.  Some versions of
RRDtool may under some circumstances show some extra lines of data.  Or
perhaps your OS will print  "NaN" in a different form. "NaN" stands for
"Not A Number".  If your OS  ...
Use common sense. If the output you get resembles the output in this
tutorial, you probably did everything correct.