[rrd-users] Tutorial Question

David Eisner deisner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:57:13 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Alex van den Bogaerdt
<alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>>> well if you send a patch this would be even better :-)
>>
>> Done:  http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/ticket/291
>>

> So, next is a rrdtool v1.x.y user (x<4) complaining that the tutorial
> shows an extra line  NaN, not present in the returned data
> _and_not_asked_for.

It's not reasonable to expect future versions of documentation to
describe the behavior of older versions of software when the behavior
of that software changes over time. The rrdtutorial(1) packaged with
the older version of rrdtool would still match the observed output.

> FWIW I still think it is rrdtool that does it wrong, not the tutorial. But

You may not agree with the behavior of rrdtool, but it sounds like
it's behaving the way Tobi intends it to.  The documentation should
describe the way the software is intended to behave (and does behave,
modulo bugs).

-David

--
David Eisner     http://cradle.brokenglass.com