[rrd-users] Graphs with rate per day rather than rate per second

Shawn Heisey rrd at elyograg.org
Fri Jan 21 01:55:00 CET 2011

Google searches have not been helpful for my question, and I've been
through the rrdgraph documentation a couple of times without figuring it
out.  I hope someone can tell me what I've done wrong below and in
complete concise terms, tell me how to fix it.

I've created some RRDs for a Solr index that track document count, with
the following statements.

rrdtool create doc_counter.rrd \
         --step 86400 \
         DS:count:COUNTER:604800:0:18446744073709551615 \
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:730 \
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:7:520 \
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:6000

rrdtool create doc_gauge.rrd \
         --step 3600 \
         DS:did:GAUGE:7200:0:18446744073709551615 \
         RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
         RRA:MAX:0.5:24:600 \
         RRA:MAX:0.5:168:12000

The first one updates once a day, the second one once an hour.  I would
like to now graph these, starting with the first one, the COUNTER.  I
figure the GAUGE one will be pretty easy, since there's no rates involved.

The problem that I've run into is that the numbers it graphs are in
documents per second, not documents per day.  I've been doing a lot of
googling and have come up empty - most of what's out there for regular
per second graphs also happens to mention either "per day" or "daily"
... so the searches I've tried are useless.  Here's what I am beginning
with:

rrdtool graph count.png --end now --start end-365d \
   DEF:count=doc_counter.rrd:count:AVERAGE:step=86400 \
   LINE1:count#0000FF:"docs per day\l"

I figure that I am simply missing an option on the graph statement that
tells it to use a different rate scale.  If anyone can help me find my
mistake and fix it, I would appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Shawn