[rrd-users] monthly display problem

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 19:54:18 CEST 2011

jojoseb wrote:
>Hi, I'm an intern and I have been working with rrdtool since 2 months.
>I'm facing a little problem due to the fact that the step is fixed in rrd
>tool.
>I want to create a graph showing monthly values, the problem is that I don't
>know what step I need to write in rrdtool graph, because months haven't all
>the same time (28,29,30,31 days...)

Then you have the wrong tool for the job.

The best I could suggest is to consolidate data in 24 hour periods.
Then using an external script, extract the data for each month
individually (eg extract the data for midnight 1st July to midnight
1st August, and so on), and then graph those values with another
plotting tool.

That will allow you to continue using RRD to collect, normalise, and
consolidate the data - while using other tools to plot the graph you
want (RRD won't do that bit).

--
Simon Hobson