[rrd-users] xff

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 21 23:55:24 CEST 2011

The xff setting is not relevant here:  What xff does, is that it specifies
what fraction of the required data must be available for a cdp in an RRA to
be non-Unknown.

So, if you define an RRA with 1cdp = 10dp, then an XFF of 0.5 will mean that
if less than 5 of the dps have valid data, the cdp will be 'unknown'.

What you are trying to do is to disable the 'data normalisation' function in
RRDTool, which adjusts the stored value based on previous data trends and
the received data time.  This is useful with continuing traffic data, but
not for applications where the value is very small and wants to be stored
exactly.

Currently, there is no way to disable Data Normalisation (though an 'EXACT'
data type that avoids data normalisation would be a nice thing to have)

I don't know what your data represent, but it may be that RRDTool is not the
correct tool for this job and you should look at a more traditional database
such as mysql etc?

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway