[rrd-users] xff

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 00:44:03 CEST 2011

Steve Shipway wrote:

>What you are trying to do is to disable the 'data normalisation'
>function in RRDTool, which adjusts the stored value based on
>previous data trends and the received data time.  This is useful
>with continuing traffic data, but not for applications where the
>value is very small and wants to be stored exactly.

<pedant mode>Normalisation does not take account of trends, it *only*
uses sufficient previous data to form a complete period. Alex has a
very good tutorial on "Rates, normalizing and consolidating" which
"explains how RRDtool processes its input data, normalization and
consolidation are described there as well as some generic stuff about
the properties of an RRA".
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/

>Currently, there is no way to disable Data Normalisation (though an
>'EXACT' data type that avoids data normalisation would be a nice
>thing to have)

But would I believe be incompatible with the way RRD works.
--
Simon Hobson