[rrd-users] RRDtool and alt-autoscale

Mark K. Murdock mark.murdock at lanternsec.com
Fri Mar 4 23:07:33 CET 2011

I'm using rrdtool 1.4.3 on an Ubuntu system in conjunction with Nagios (through pnp4nagios).

I have a temperature graph where the data tends to vary between 74 and 76 degrees F and to see the variations in detail I'd like to have the lower-limit of the graph around 74 and the upper-limit around 76.  I'd prefer not to set this statically, since there are times when the temperature varies above and below those values and I'd like the graph to scale accordingly.  It seemed to me like the --alt-autoscale option was the way to go.  I tried it and the upper-limit auto-scaled properly, however the lower-limit of the graph appeared to be 0, way below the actual minimum value.  I printed the MIN value in the graph legend and found it to be around 74 degrees F, so I'm not sure why the graph is auto-scaling to 0.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  I tried also adding the --rigid option but that did not help.

Thanks
Mark

The information transmitted (including attachments) is
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,
18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or
entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.