[rrd-users] NaN when storing values

Damiano Bolzoni damiano.bolzoni at gmail.com
Thu May 12 10:39:27 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I'm trying to using RRD to store some bandwidth values every seconds.
I double-checked that I'm using the right syntax by also using the
RRDTool Wizard. I'm issuing the following command:

rrdtool create bandwidth.rrd --no-overwrite --step 1
DS:values:ABSOLUTE:5:0.0:1100.0 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:10
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:300:12 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:3600:6

then every second I read the value and update the database by issuing:

rrdtool update bandwidth.rrd TIMESTAMP:VALUE

when I try to get some averaged values with:

rrdtool fetch bandwidth.rrd AVERAGE --end now

I get a long list of NaNs...

                         values

1305104400: nan
1305108000: nan
1305111600: nan
1305115200: nan
1305118800: nan
1305122400: nan
1305126000: nan
1305129600: nan
1305133200: nan
1305136800: nan
1305140400: nan
1305144000: nan
1305147600: nan
1305151200: nan
1305154800: nan
1305158400: nan
1305162000: nan
1305165600: nan
1305169200: nan
1305172800: nan
1305176400: nan
1305180000: nan
1305183600: nan
1305187200: nan
1305190800: nan

What am I missing here? Also plotting a graph again using the Wizard
to craft a proper command line does not work...

thanks in advance!