[rrd-users] HRULE being parsed incorrectly on command line?

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Fri May 13 23:03:50 CEST 2011

Hey, rrd users!

This:

rrdtool graph --imgformat PNG out.png DEF:ds0=in.rrd:x:AVERAGE CDEF:unknown=ds0,UN,INF,UNKN,IF VDEF:ds0max=ds0,MAXIMUM VDEF:ds0min=ds0,MINIMUM DEF:ds1=in.rrd:y:AVERAGE LINE1:ds1

works fine.

This:

rrdtool graph --imgformat PNG out.png DEF:ds0=in.rrd:x:AVERAGE CDEF:unknown=ds0,UN,INF,UNKN,IF VDEF:ds0max=ds0,MAXIMUM VDEF:ds0min=ds0,MINIMUM DEF:ds1=in.rrd:y:AVERAGE HRULE:ds1

produces:

ERROR: Using vname ds0min of wrong type in line HRULE:ds1

At the very least, the error message doesn't make much sense, I'm not trying to use "ds0min" in the line it's indicating. Shouldn't this work? I basically just want a line that won't cause the y-scale to be zoomed out to make it fit if it wouldn't normally be within view. The man page makes it sound like HRULE would do this.

Anyone know what's wrong?