[rrd-users] HRULE being parsed incorrectly on command line?

Jaime Lozano jaimelozano09 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:30:19 CEST 2011

> rrdtool graph --imgformat PNG out.png DEF:ds0=in.rrd:x:AVERAGE CDEF:unknown=ds0,UN,INF,UNKN,IF VDEF:ds0max=ds0,MAXIMUM VDEF:ds0min=ds0,MINIMUM DEF:ds1=in.rrd:y:AVERAGE HRULE:ds1

In http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_graph.en.html it says about VRULE:
"It is an error to use vnames from DEF or CDEF here" and then "HRULE
acts much like LINE except that will have no effect on the scale of
the graph" so I think you are wrong, and you cannot do that. If HRULE
is a straight line, why trying to use a non constant value?

> I basically just want a line that won't cause the y-scale to be zoomed out to make it fit if it wouldn't normally be within view.

That's a good question, but I don't know the answer. Sure we can know it soon.

Regards.