[rrd-users] Restore and merge from backup

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Thu May 26 17:32:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

we're currently trying to restore RRD databases after having had a
disaster on the machine that we run pnp4nagios on.

To get back on track quickly we got our Nagios and pnp4nagios set up
before getting to recover the data (the backup server was identical to
the Nagios server at that time ...).

We're now facing the issue that although the RRDs are similar in
structure there seems to be no way to re-integrate the old RRDs' data
into the new ones.  We'd like to do that so that we only show a few
hours gap instead of days.

I tried various tools that are floating around (the perl thingy doesn't
seem to work at all and I bashed away at rrd-merge-py but that didn't
lead anywhere either as I don't have a deep understanding of the data
formats involved).

As the documentation and Google are also pretty silent: is there a story
that I'm missing about restoring and merging data from a backup into a
(compatible) RRD that already started storing new data?

I'm providing two sample RRDs for your inspiration and any help or
pointer would be appreciated:

http://shared00.gocept.net/~ctheune/ping_new.rrd
http://shared00.gocept.net/~ctheune/ping_old.rrd

Cheers,
Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations