[rrd-users] Top-posting vs bottom-posting was Re: CDEF: comparing Strings

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Tue Nov 8 17:08:17 CET 2011

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On Tuesday, November 08, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Aleksandr Pasechnik penned
about Re: [rrd-users] CDEF: comparing Strings

> My argument is that the quoted content is not for reading, it is for
> reference. Comments?

Sure, I'll comment.  :)

I don't like top-posted threads because it's simply not a natural way
to read.  Why should we (humans) change our normal method of reading
for a computer?  I don't see a perceived gain.

In all likelihood, the reason for top-posting is due to Microsoft
Outlook defaulting the cursor at the top of the reply-mail.  Same with
Blackberry (and those types).  Lousy developer decision.

I also find that those folks who top-post, when it comes to a
multi-query e-mail, may miss some of the questions.  In a business
scenario, this puts added drag on the sender to have to resend a
message and say, `so what about B, C and D?'

I also find it annoying when people don't change the Subject of a
thread when it's changed.  :) :) :)!

Cheers,
---
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)