[rrd-users] Data are stored as floating point

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 08:09:54 CET 2011

Yu Watanabe wrote:

>I as monitoring the CPU utilization for Blucoat network device
>(.1.3.6.1.4.1.3417.2.4.1.1.1.4.1).
>The value is suppose to be an integer but when it is updated into
>the rrd file,
>it turns into the floating point , or double. I want to know the reason but
>bit struggling.

RRD does ***NOT*** store the values you put in

**EVERYTHING** you feed in is normalised and consolidated, and I
really do mean everything. The only "exception" is if you feed in
your data under very precise conditions such that the normalisation
(which still happens) is a null operation. In the general case, what
you put in will not be what comes out.

That is by design and suits the primary purpose for which the tool
was written. If you need a tool where what you get out is what you
put in (eg integers at irregular intervals) then RRD is not the right
tool for your task.

I suggest you read Alex's excellent tutorials, paying particular note
of "Rates, normalizing and consolidating", then I think you'll
understand

http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/

--
Simon Hobson