[rrd-users] newbie question

Daniel Patrick Sullivan dansullivan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 03:31:11 CEST 2011

Hi, rrd-users,

I have a super newbie question; I apologize if this is kind of lame.
I am reading through the rrdcreate documentation and I am wondering if
I might have found an error in the documentation or if I am
understanding something wrong.  Basically I am readin the following
document;

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html

In the first example section, I don't understand why the first archive
says it stores the actual value.  Perhaps this is just a mistake in
the documentation.  It reads;

"A few archive areas are also defined. The first stores the
temperatures supplied for 100 hours (1'200 * 300 seconds = 100
hours)."

I am wondering; is this sentence missing the word "average" between
"the" and "temperatures"?

 rrdtool create temperature.rrd --step 300 \
  DS:temp:GAUGE:600:-273:5000 \
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:1200 \
  RRA:MIN:0.5:12:2400 \
  RRA:MAX:0.5:12:2400 \
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:2400

Obviously I would not be emailing this list if I was not confused.
Sorry I am a real newbie here.  I guess I don't understand why you
would have to keep more than one average.  Is there only a single
value stored in the RRA (archive)?

Thanks,

Dan Sullivan