[rrd-users] Graphing last_ds for a COUNTER?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Mon Sep 12 14:17:14 CEST 2011

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've got a COUNTER in my rrd file, and I'd like to print the last value
> via GPRINT, too.
> "rrdtool info" shows the number as "last_ds", but how can I get this via
> DEF/VDEF?
>
> I hope this is possible now, in 2006 there's been no answer:
>   https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/rrd-users/2006-July/011434.html

I don't think this is built in.  VDEF would be a nice mechanism to get it,
but so far nobody programmed it and nobody sponsored me to do it.

No problem. As always:

Get the number (e.g. using rrdtool dump), then use it in your rrdtool
graph command inside the GPRINT command, just like you would print "hello,
world".

Yes, this means calling rrdtool twice.

HTH
Alex